Friday, February 19, 2010

The Significance of Creatures in Literature

This is just something I find interesting. Have you noticed how often creatures can be used significantly in literature? Seriously! I will give my input, and once you finish reading it, I would love for you to give your own. Point one:There is so many ways you can use an animal that you can't a human. Contemplate this. The most you can do with a human is say, "His eyes radiated malevolence, and his posture showed his complete distaste for those around him." That is good, but can you make it better? "The snake's eyes flicked back and forth across those gathered near. It's tongue was constantly flicking between it's lips, testing the air for potential danger." Way better, right? Point two: Can you imagine famous creatures as people? Think about these in particular: Aslan, Smog, Puddleglum, REEPACHEEP. What would they be like as humans??? This I know for sure:Aslan wouldn't be nearly as Majestic. Smog wouldn't be at ALL as imposing. Puddleglum wouldn't be as... well, glum. And Reepacheep? He wouldn't be so brave and witty. Just imagine.

"Sir, I lost my tail in battle for you," said a dis-heartened Reepacheep. Aslan replied, "Get up you stupid man! You didn't have a tail in the first place!"

Yes, I am a Narnia Fanatic, so I will variate. The pheonix 'Fox' of Harry Potter. Can you imagine him being human?

"Harry looked questioningly at the strange man. He seemed to be crying on him. With the last of his strength, he pushed the man away from himself. His honor must be preserved. And then he breathed his last breath, with Voldemort's laughing form at his back."

Can you see that happening? I can't. One final shot at it, for those of you who haven't read Narnia OR Harry Potter... creepy as that may be. :D

"Bilbo Baggins walked down the small tunnel. He had half expected it to be hot and dank, but it was actually quite nice. There were pictures on the wall, the floor was carpeted, and torches lined the walls, giving the room a nice airy feeling."

That is as far as I'll go. I don't think I can stand any more. Give me your input on this subject.

3 comments:

tinyheart said...

Those are some good points,I don't think I ever thought like that before.I LOVE reepacheep!! So again good point.=)

Kailyn Nickel said...

I totally agree! However exciting it is to write about humans, there's something about creatures that truly fascinates us. I don't know what it is... Perhaps, because creatures are so different from us, we want to discover if, by injecting a bit of humanity into them, we can create something overall more intriguing than a regular person (such as special abilities, a different outlook or perspective, and tons more things). Even making a creature that longs to be human is something interesting, because we've never had that desire, and we want to know what it would feel like to not be human and to yearn for it...

Anyway, just my ramblings. I am drawn to anything concerning literature, and this is something that really interests me. HOPEFULLY, I'll someday be able to write my own book with its own creatures and humans and all that good stuff. =P

Great post; loved it!

Kailyn

Alex Monseth said...

Sorry, but I'd have to dissagree with both of your points. Well, more so on the first one. It's nice having creatures in stories, but on your first point, the first sentence was waaaay better.